For our 3rd Anniversary we decided to put together a little trip to Southeastern Sicily. We stayed at a great place in Marina di Ragusa called La Moresca and explored all around the area. With our anniversary being in October we found all the towns to be quiet with all the tourists long gone! This made for easy travel between the towns and we were able to see a lot of things over the long weekend. For more info on Marina di Ragusa go to this link
Each town had its own unique flavor. It truly felt like we took a vacation somewhere far away even though we were only a couple hours south of where we live. That sense of distinction between towns is something that has surprised me since we have moved to Sicily.
Onto the food:
- Trattoria da Carmelo : Our favorite restaurant of the trip. Very cozy place right on the water in Marina di Ragusa. The seafood was prepared perfectly and the service was on point.
- Shosholoza : Very cool vibe in this place. The owner talked with us since he noticed we weren’t Italian.. his English was very good. He explained how he opened the restaurant and started serving us items everything was great except my main course, which I took a risk on. Ravioli de sepia ( ravioli with cuttlefish ink… it was a completely ink black sauce!!)
- Tocca : Another great restaurant but another failed risk on my entree… I tried the spaghetti ai ricci a recommendation from the waitress ( spaghetti with sea urchin). You have to try new things right!?
- Donnafugata Resort : We only had lunch at this resort, but the grounds were amazing. Its a huge golf resort surrounded by Sicilian countryside and Mediterranean.
- La Moresca : This place made the vacation extra special because it was top notch. The staff went out of their way to make sure that we were very happy for our anniversary. The hotel itself was very unique and you felt as though you were staying at a home away from home.